Breach & Consumer Notification Laws in New Jersey
Did You Know?
- There are specific considerations when determining if a breach is reportable
- If a determination is made that notification will not be required, the decision must be documented in writing and maintained for five years
- It is mandatory to report to the Division of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety, prior to any disclosure to the affected individuals
- Notifications may only be given by specific methods
- Notifications may be required to the consumer reporting agencies
- If your breach affects residents in other states you will need to notify those residents using that state’s rules
- If a vendor is breached, they must report it to the data owner. The data owner will be responsible to complete the reporting and consumer notification
- Violators are subject to penalties, in addition to any other penalties authorized by law, as well as civil suits, entitling the plaintiff to treble damages and costs
- New Jersey has additional laws regarding how personal data is protected and disposed of to prevent a breach
- Federal laws, industry regulations, and/or out-of-country laws may also apply
This summary of regulations is provided for information purposes only. No action based on this summary alone should be undertaken. Each individual or entity must obtain appropriate guidance for its specific circumstances.
© 2018 CSR. All rights reserved. CSR refers to the corporation CSR Professional Services, Inc.
We are proud to be AAA Certified from The National Association for Information Destruction (NAID).
NAID AAA Certification verifies the qualifications of certified information destruction providers through a comprehensive scheduled and unannounced audit program.
Learn how we can help you save money with our effective document shredding plans.
Call: (877) 886-4732
We Value Our Customers!
We’re here to help your business and personal assets through efficient processes, mobile technology, & great customer service. We offer 10% discount in your initial shred.
Our goal is to provide excellent customer satisfaction using high technology and good old fashion customer care.
Peter Levitt, CEO, IDSAutoshred