Breach & Consumer Notification Laws in Connecticut
Did You Know?
- There are specific considerations when determining if a breach is reportable
- There are education sector-specific vendor contract requirements that establish the need for breach of security obligation provisions
- Connecticut requires mandatory provision of appropriate identity theft prevention services and, if applicable, identity theft mitigation services
- There are different statutes for particular sectors. Statutes for entities regulated by the Insurance Commissioner have a notification deadline of 5 days. Statutes related to student personal information between a local or regional board of education and their contractors, consultants, and operators have notification deadlines ranging from 48 hours to 60 days
- Notifications may only be given by specific methods
- Notification must be given to the state attorney general
- f a vendor is breached, they must report it to the data owner. The data owner will be responsible to complete the reporting and consumer notification
- If your breach affects residents in other states you will need to notify those residents using that state’s rules
- Violating the statutes constitutes an unfair trade practice
- Connecticut has additional laws related to the protection of personal data to prevent a breach
- Federal laws, industry regulations, and/or out-of-country laws may also apply
This summary of regulations is provided for information purposes only. No action based on this summary alone should be undertaken. Each individual or entity must obtain appropriate guidance for its specific circumstances.
© 2018 CSR. All rights reserved. CSR refers to the corporation CSR Professional Services, Inc.
We are proud to be AAA Certified from The National Association for Information Destruction (NAID).
NAID AAA Certification verifies the qualifications of certified information destruction providers through a comprehensive scheduled and unannounced audit program.
Learn how we can help you save money with our effective document shredding plans.
Call: (877) 886-4732
We Value Our Customers!
We’re here to help your business and personal assets through efficient processes, mobile technology, & great customer service. We offer 10% discount in your initial shred.
Our goal is to provide excellent customer satisfaction using high technology and good old fashion customer care.
Peter Levitt, CEO, IDSAutoshred